top of page

Government advice on travel to European Union countries

March 11th 2019


The Gov.UK web site lists helpful information on UK nationals travelling to the EU including on passport validity, visa and border arrangements, international driving permits, etc -

1. Rules for passports

The following information is taken from the Gov.UK website -

The rules for travel to most countries in Europe change if the UK leaves the European Union (EU) with no deal.

After 29 March 2019:

1.       You should have at least 6 months left on your passport from your date of arrival. This applies to adult and child passports.


2.       If you renewed a passport before it expired, up to 9 extra months may have been added to your new passport’s expiry date. Any extra months on your passport over 10 years may not count towards the 6 months that should be remaining for travel to most countries in Europe.

2. Visa and border arrangements

If the UK leaves with a deal, travel to the EU will remain the same as now until at least 31 December 2020. You will not need to apply for a visa to travel or work in the EU during this time.

If the UK leaves the EU without a deal, the rules for travelling or working in Europe will change after 29 March 2019.

The European Commission has proposed that in a no deal situation [British citizens] would not need a visa for short stays in the Schengen area or elsewhere in the EU.


3. Driving

From 28 March 2019, drivers from the UK may need a different international driving permit (IDP) to drive abroad. If the UK leaves the EU without a deal, UK drivers may also need an IDP and extra documentation to drive in the EU and EEA.

If you intend to drive in the EU after exit, you may need a green card from your insurer. Read about how to get a green card and find out more about vehicle insurance in the EU


IDPs are available from Post Offices and cost £5.50 –

bottom of page