Covid 19: The Key Points from the Prime Minister's Speech
March 23rd 2020
Stay at home
You must stay at home, only leaving for the following very limited purposes:
• Shopping for basic necessities, as infrequently as possible.
• One form of exercise a day – for example, a run, walk or cycle – alone or with members of your
• Any medical need, to provide care or to help a vulnerable person.
• Travelling to and from work, but only where this absolutely cannot be done from home.
Protect the NHS
You must stay at home to protect the NHS:
• The NHS only has a limited number of doctors, nurses and specialist equipment.
• We are working around the clock to increase NHS capacity.
• The more people who get sick, the harder it is for the NHS to cope.
• We must slow the spread of the disease so that fewer people are sick at any one time.
You must stay at home to protect the NHS and save lives:
• Police will disperse gatherings of more than two people in public, excluding people you live with.
• Police will issue fines to anyone who does not comply with these rules.
• Police will close all shops that are not essential, as well as playgrounds and places of worship.